Saturday, March 3, 2012

Indian Schooling Systems - Perception Vs. Reality

This post, I am writing, when the UPSC results are out in India and incidentally too many references of the schools I have been experiencing today. One with the movie I am currently watching namely Dhoni which talks about the Indian Schooling system where as the other one in family talks that went on when the future planning was on the schooling for my daughter.

When I looked over the net on which of the one, Private OR Public schools, I surprisingly got more inputs which kind of shattered my perception and am sure it would do the same thing to yours as well....



I am from the background of Government schooling till Graduation and my natural instinct may be equally biased due to first hand experiences, which is why I sought the help of "Goog-la Krishnan" :)


As repeatedly we heard over and over about the rising private school business, I am sure any parent from the new middle class to old middle class belt, would strive hard to get admission to their wards in that prestigious school which was run privately, isn't it? Following were cited the reasons:
1) 100% pass results
2) Better education
3) Better teachers
4) Better Management
....

On the contrary, I found the following statistics from last year SSLC examination results charter:

TypeSchools>80%60- 80%40-60% <40%
No.%No.%No.%No.%
Govt3714166845116231630172547
Aided298013584690030458151949
Private41492171521042254891247911


As one can observe 80% + category is the one category where Private school marginally was higher where as the rest all of the decent category, the Government schools rules!! Beware that this statistics is taken from 10,800 schools from the state.

Now, another fact that would astonish you (like it did to me) was this: There were 44 schools which scored a big ZERO pass percentage and 4 out of them were Government Aided and the rest of the 40 were..hold your breath... Private schools. Yes, None of Government run schools went into the ZERO pass percentage category.

This indeed surprises me, as Private schools has more wisdom to expel OR not admit the student who possesses danger to their 100% pass percentage with their stringent admission conditions.

Another fact to post is that, in the 100% pass percentages, 1081 schools achieved that and 401 schools out of them were Government schools. This might look to be very small in comparison with the 959 unaided private schools who achieved the same results.

I am sure that if we compare the infrastructures, we may be comparing Apple to Oranges, when comparing the Best of the Private Schools Vs. Best of the Public School. However, this article about the reality check verses the general perception.

May be with this perception cloud, the Private School "Rabbit" is sitting on top of the Public school "tortoise" but nevertheless I hope and am sure the history repeats itself!!