Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Information overflow - E-Gokulashtami @ Texas

Before I start, I believe you would have by now completed the Gokula Ashtami if you are in the southern part of the India or still chewing/mowing the seedais if you are in the western part of the world. Anyways, today's blog entry is also related to it.


I was at awe this evening with the incident I am going to describe about. Back in India, I still fondly recollect the way we celebrate Gokulashtami, where my father opens up one of his age old yellowish torn pages of the sloka book (a precious collection indeed) and have us seated in a row to spell out the slokas related to Lord Krishna.


Well, being in a foreign land, I had no choice except depending upon the information available on the internet for the slokas, where exactly the problem started




While my wife was beaconing with her quickly made aval payasam and other souveneirs, I thought I could quickly grab my tablet and check out for the appropriate slokas to spell out along with my daughter. I opened up the youtube first and typed in "Gokula" and the auto-fill feature helped precisely by completing it to "Gokula Krishnan". damn.. I had to type once again carefully to zero-in on "Gokula Ashtami slokas". I ended up having 135 pages worth of search material where I had no idea which one would be more appropriate for the occasion. I ended trying 10 links from 3 pages and NOT a single one could play the slokas alone. Instead ended up running a Satrumarai session or a cute, chubby baby pronoucing hare rama hare krishna...


With my wife yelling at NOT able to find the right link quickly and my daughter losing the initial interest in celebrating her pet pal, Krishna kutty's Birthday, I had to resort to my quick "desi" short cut. 


grey area in my brain somehow sparked "Krishna related links" internally and the first search ended up in "Thiruppavai by Andal". With the better keywords to search now, I tried "Thiruppavai Andal Tamil PDF" ...bang!! I got the PDF downloaded and opened in my e-reader format in next 15 seconds in TAMIL font.


I never recited the Thiruppavai completely even once in my life so far but thanks to the technology, ended up reciting the whole set of Slokas with "Akshara Sutham", and be felt proud of it as well, as like any first timer achievements :)


Now, once I got the data with me, It was less than a minute to access the information but the total efforts of getting me what I wanted took me more than 1 hour. Now, am I correct in stating that we indeed live in "Information overflow" age?


I miss my father and his partially torn sloka books!!


"Krishna arpanam asthu:"



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your inputs/feedback on this blog post: