Thursday, August 11, 2011

Easy way to avoid Procrastination (do it later) attitude

Hello,

Glad to be back again though not the sooner as promised in my previous blog posting. It is purely because of the writer's block. For the uninitiated, information about writer's block can be found here.

Coming back to the today's topic, it is just coincided with two readings on the same day and put to pratice before I preach here.  Let us see if you answer these questions below, honestly without copying others :):
Are you like me in postponing the things that could have done NOW but still NOT "found energy" to get it done NOW?
is "do it now" a word that you wanted to remove from the dictionary?
Are you consistently being inconsistent in achieving the set goals?
Are you consistently missing your bill payments or bill defaulter's list?
Are you  constantly found yourself NOT prepared to a planned situations/meetings?

If you answered "NO" to all or most of the above questions, please do NOT bother to read further. You must be a boringly master planner and  calculative, cautious person. This article is NOT for you. Please a favor by writing/recording the exact set of methods in this blog through which you are keeping up your record straight.

On the other hand,  if you find the above situations in questions to be more familiar (like me!!), go ahead in reading the method by which you could completely avoid procrastination.. Interested still? move ahead!!

This habit of postponing the things is called Procrastination and is a complex phenomenon as to why it occurs. The reasons atleast what I found were the following: (a) Perfectionism, (b) seeing and doing things as a whole instead of breaking into pieces, (c) long term effect, (d) fear of failure, (e) "do not sweat small stuffs" approach to name a few.

The (b) is what the easy method lies around which is called "Zaigarnik effect" and combine the same with the "21 day trial or Shareware method".

What is "Zaigarnik effect": In a crux this thesis talks about a simple concept that "We remember better that which is unfinished or incomplete". what does this mean is that when a job is incomplete, our mind works in a such a way to create constant nag in our thoughts to remind about the incomplete tasks. The funny effect is that this "short term memory" issue vanishes, as soon as the job is completed. This has been observed by the scientist when he was eating at the restaurant where the server remembered exactly what was being ordered till the billing is over. As soon as the billing was over, the server was struggling to remember the ordered items though as if he has erased instantly the memory after billing :) I really found this funny on how some of the important discoveries were made!! more information be found here

How to make use of this simple principle: The procrastination mainly happens looking at the holistic task completion. For example, I was completely out of sync on my fitness regime once I was strictly into, as I see them as daily exercise with the monthly or quarterly or yearly milestones to complete. However being overwhelmed by the number of total days, my resolution to hit the gym daily died probably the second day. However, when I recently found "shareware model" or "just the few minutes" approach, I see the things working for me more than 100% effect.

What is "shareware model": This principle is based on the software distribution method called "XX day trial period " on the software that could be used free of cost namely "Shareware". This makes the user think that "okay, let me use it for XX days and see if this is useful. If it is NOT, I will uninstall them". The same principle I have simplified further into "just the few minutes" approach. I surprisingly found this approach to be working as I guess it "tricks" the mind in such a way to give a conditonal temporary relief instead of carrying long term goal burden.  In a simple term, it thinks "hey, I dont need to go to Gym "every single day" for "two hours" but "just the few minutes" for next 7 days. If I like it, I will continue". When you hit the 7th day, the sense of achievement will push us forward to 8th day. Another research says "anything we do for 21 continuous days, it will become our habit" :) so inturn, it can become irresistible habit, if you want!!

So, to break the "let us do it later" pattern, all you need is "just the few minutes" approach.

I found this method to be working and was 100% effective. I am planning to continue with the blogging too. I hope today's posting gave you good insight and helpful. Please do keep me posted on your experience with the "just a few minutes" model.

It takes "just a few minutes" to practice, I might say!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your inputs/feedback on this blog post: