Sunday, May 6, 2012

Chaos theory and Curd rice bowl

Sure, you might find the subject funny but it is a true story and a mind boggling one since yesterday for me.
 



To understand the story in a better way, one might need to first explain what is chaos theory. What is chaos theory? 
How is the curd rice bowl comes in to picture?
how it is related to chaos theory? 
lot more question to add upon?? please read further on...

What is Chaos theory?


This theory I learnt after getting admired completely by the tamil movies namely 12B and "Dasavadhaaram", with which even layman like me, was able to understand like this: 


"With even slightest change in the initial conditions, how different diverging outcomes could be possible which could eventually make the long term predictions on them seemingly impossible", to say in simple(??!!) terms.


How is the curd rice bowl comes in to picture?

Its all started with us deciding to visit the nearly far-er by Meenakshi temple for a Satyanarayan pooja which was held at 6:30 PM and went all along till 10:30 PM. With my wife being pregnant and with n into n-1 set of different food conditions to accommodate with, the ONLY best bet I completely trusted with was the vegetarian canteen inside the template. With canteen getting closed at 9 PM, I had more concerns growing than the spirituality on the ongoing pooja formalities. The last option I could think was to get a bowl of curd rice at the least to the pregnant lady before travelling 50+ miles return journey.


how it is related to chaos theory? 

When the pooja got over, with we almost leaving the hope of having a good reasonable food before the day ends, twist came in the form of the priest who helped going through the spiritual ordeal till then. He has asked me to carry the idols(Vigrahams in Sanskrit-tamil) back to its safe. Initially I was surprised to see me getting picked up as I was really scared of getting chiding/scolding from him for definitely spoiling his spiritual mood with loudly but shamelessly pronouncing the mantras incorrectly (wow! how many "ly"s?) but surprised with his request for help. Upon helping him performing the same, my wife and kid also accompanied me till that place. This is when he called us up and pointed out to a corner where 3 different platter full of colorful meals with 7 different taste buds tingling food items kept out there.  


For a moment, I did NOT believe my eyes as 4 flash lights up in my mind:
1) why did he call ONLY me when around 43+ people performed the same pooja then.
2) why did I end up carrying the idols when others safely left the place after pooja.
3) What did prompt me to go to the priest and say "thanks" for his help in perfomring the pooja.
4) What did prompt him to ask help from me....


With the slight deviations in the "sensitivity to the initial conditions", I would have definitely ended up having empty bowl at home around 12:45 AM Or ended up halting at a non-veg joint for a plate of fries?


And adding to it, I would NOT have written this incident if it had NOT happen with the "slight change in the inital conditions" once again. I now realize why they named in "Chaos theory".


Or Is it merely a sequence of co incidents? Not sure but I am sure you would have got the meaning of the title of this post by now though...

Please feel free to share some of such chaos moments if you have had any...



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your inputs/feedback on this blog post: